Sunshine, cool breezes, dips in the lake - our dogs love summer just as much as we do! However, it's not as easy for them to cool down as it is for us. They don't sweat the way humans do (they sweat a bit, but not much) and cool themselves down by panting; which is rendered useless if they only have hot air to breathe in.
Here are 10 tips to keep your pup safe, and cool as a cucumber this summer!
1. NEVER leave your dog in a hot car. It can take just minutes for a dog to suffer heat stroke and suffocate in a car. If you have to bring your dog out with you, bring a water dish and fresh water with you, and bring your dog with you when you get out of the car. Flat beds of trucks can be very dangerous, too - the metal gets very hot, and dogs can accidentally jump out or be involved in a collision far too easily.
2. Protect your dog from parasites like fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.
3. Keep their paws cool. If the pavement is hot to the touch for you, chances are it could burn their paws!
4. Provide plenty of shade and water at all times. Help them keep cool!
5. Don't assume your dog can swim well. Make sure they can't access your swimming pool without your supervision.
6. Dogs can get sunburns, too. Most people don't realize this, but it's true! Protect their skin by avoiding direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time, and offering plenty of shade and indoors time.
Fun idea - give your dog a kiddy pool! It's a safe way to help them cool down.
Do you have any summer safety tips for dogs? Let us know!