Pet Health Alert in the Comox Valley – Toxic Mushrooms

doggie.jpg

Whether you’re headed out for a walk, or staying on your own property, you’ll want to be vigilant about mushrooms when it comes to your pets (and your children of course). Poisonous mushrooms that grow in the wild can cause serious – and sometimes lethal – harm to your pets if you’re not careful.

How do you know which mushrooms are poisonous?

Mushrooms are very difficult to identify, so when in doubt, we should always assume worst-case scenario – and keep our pets away from ALL wild mushrooms. Depending on the kind of mushroom ingested, poisoning can even occur with one small bite! This spring, a warning from Island Health was issued about a poisonous mushroom known as the “Death Cap”, which has been spotted in residential areas near Victoria. They can resemble safe cousins, and sadly, even caused the tragic death of a three year-old following accidental ingestion.

How do you keep your pets safe?

To stay safe, clear your yard and property of all wild mushrooms, and be on the watch for these when you go out for walks.

What do you do if your pet ingests a wild mushroom?

If you suspect that your pet has ingested a mushroom, call our emergency line immediately. (250) 339-6555. 

When you bring your pet in, bring the mushroom if possible.

And don’t hesitate; the sooner you bring your pet in, the sooner we can decontaminate (e.g., induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to bind the poison from the stomach) and treat. This is less damaging to your pet, and comes at less cost to you. Additional treatment often includes IV fluids, blood work monitoring (for 2 days), liver protectant drugs, anti-vomiting medication, and supportive care. If you wait until clinical signs develop, it may be too late to treat your pet effectively.

Do you remember? In 2015, Rock Johnson’s dog Brutus passed away following the ingestion of a toxic mushroom.

Unfortunately, we do see accidental mushroom poisonings occur here in the Comox Valley as well. The good news is, we can do our best to prevent these from happening. Please share this post with your friends and family members with pets here in the Valley to spread the word!  

 "I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Instagram

"I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Instagram

Has your pet ever had an encounter with wild mushrooms here in the Comox Valley? 

Our family, caring for yours. Come and get to know us today. 

from the desk of Dr. Stacey Gastis